What qualifications do you need as a personal trainer?

Starting your journey to becoming a personal trainer is exciting but with all the different courses and qualifications that are on offer out there knowing exactly where to start can be a bit of a minefield.

Choosing a training provider that provides nationally accredited qualifications that are approved by the register of exercise of professionals (REPs) is essential so that you can be assured that you have received the correct training and have been certificated as a safe and effective trainer.

What are nationally accredited qualifications?

Nationally accredited qualifications are those that are reviewed, recognised and monitored by official UK regulatory bodies in order to make sure that they meet specific criteria and quality standards. Those qualifications are then listed on the Register of Regulated Qualifications, where can also be found a list of recognised awarding organisations that have the power to award qualifications.

What is the register of exercise professionals?

REPs provides a system of regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet the health and fitness industry’s agreed National Occupational Standards. REPs provides assurance and confidence to the public and employers that all professionals on the Register are appropriately qualified and have the knowledge, competence and skills to perform their role effectively. You could call them the checkatrade of the fitness industry.

How do you know whether the course is nationally accredited and REPS approved?

When you make an enquiry with any training provider make sure you ask whether their courses are are nationally accredited and REPS approved before purchasing from them. You will want their response in writing so an email is best. It is unlikely that the organisation would be dishonest particularly in writing but you may want to be absolutely sure and contact the awarding body also and ask them if this course provider is one of their approved training centres. All qualification awarding organisations are listed on the official websites of the regulators. The most extensive one is the Register of Regulated Qualifications which can be found on the Ofqual official website.

What is the best course to begin with?

The level 2 certificate in gym instruction and level 3 diploma in perosnal training are both nationally accredited, CIMSPA and REPs approved. Whether you want to work as a fitness instructor or a personal trainer then this qualification qualifies you to do so.

If you serious about building a successful career we also recommend you tag on as many continuing professional development (CPD) workshops as you can to further increase your knowledge, skills and confidence and make your CV look awesome.

Storm Fitness Academy Logo

If you are still unsure which course is best for you then get in touch. We offer free consultations to anyone considering a career in the fitness industry and will give you free advice on exactly what the best pathway is for you, whether you are just starting out or whether you are an experienced trainer hoping to develop your career further.

Join our Members Club

FREE Subscription to our Members Club newsletter - delivering motivational tips, advice and support for anyone aspiring to succeed in the health and fitness industry.